JOB TITLE: Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Coordinator
RESPONSIBLE TO: Senior Center Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: Provide coordination, organization, and supervision for 8 Senior Resources of Guilford VITA sites in Guilford County
SCHEDULE: Part-time schedule. The VITA program runs from January – April each year (averaging about 20 hours per week). Other months require 0-10 hours per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Ensures site compliance with IRS VITA requirements.
2. Maintains relationship with IRS office for obtaining site materials and pertinent information.
3. Recruits site coordinators and volunteers for VITA sites.
4. Ensures that VITA sites are open as scheduled and ensures adequate volunteer coverage, supplies, tax materials, and equipment.
5. Ensures that tax returns are electronically filed with the IRS in a timely manner and that acknowledgements are reviewed.
6. Ensures rejected returns are either corrected or provided back to the tax payer.
7. Ensures quality review standards are upheld at all sites.
8. Promotes the VITA program throughout the community.
9. Maintains program data in order to prepare monthly and quarterly reports.
10. Maintains accurate records of site statistics, including volunteer hours and tax payer demographics.
11. Compiles post-season reports for end of season wrap-up and evaluation.
12. Plans/hosts volunteer recognition event at the end of filing season.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
• Complete all training and certification requirements, including passing the IRS Tax Test at the Advanced Level.
• Basic computer skills for using e-mail and Office applications.
• Ability to manage volunteers.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Associates degree or equivalent experience.
• Previous experience in tax preparation.
• Basic tax knowledge (Form 1040 and supporting schedules).
Senior Resources of Guilford provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status.
Qualifications: Associate's Degree and 0-2 years of experience.