The Greensboro Jewish Federation is the voice of our local Jewish community and for millions of Jews around the world. Giving care to those in need, giving deeper engagement in quality of life, and giving strength to the community, in Greensboro, Israel and around the world is at the heart of what we do. The Greensboro Jewish community is rapidly growing and changing, and there is a need to enhance and build upon our strong history of community relations across Greensboro and North Carolina as well as the recognized and respected branding of our mission and values. We seek an experienced professional with a strong writing background and proven track-record of strategically and mindfully building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders. We work in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment so the ability to prioritize and work well under pressure while maintaining high quality levels is crucial.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Design, the Editor and Content Specialist is the Editor of Shalom Greensboro – a quarterly magazine of the Greensboro Jewish Federation, and is responsible for all social media. This includes writing and editing content that advances the mission of the Federation and the needs and concerns of the greater Jewish community.
Shalom Greensboro Responsibilities include:
- Serve on, staff, and manage the Shalom Greensboro Editorial Board. Plan, organize and record meeting minutes. Plan content themes, assign writers for lead articles and create an editorial calendar several issues in advance.
- Schedule photo shoot for the magazine cover by coordinating with the Director of Marketing and Design, professional photographer, and individual(s) to be featured. Obtain all necessary approvals and permissions.
- Write content and/or provide substantive editing and feedback on all submissions to meet Shalom Greensboro Style Guide publication standards. Create relationships and communicate with Shalom Greensboro contributors. Secure articles, interview sources, attend and photograph events, write headlines and other content as necessary.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Director of Marketing and Design to take pages from concept to final product. Circulate proofs and obtain final approval before publication.
- Coordinate with Events and Corporate Partnerships Manager to ensure accurate placement of paid advertising in the publication.
- Manage reader feedback and remediate issues after publication.
- Maintain the evolving development of the Shalom Greensboro Style Guide.
- Serve as thought leader by keeping up with developing trends in the field of magazine publishing and the consideration of new/alternative channels of communication, including ways to measure engagement/response of the audience
Other Responsibilities include:
- Generate, edit, publish and share content on social media platforms that meets social media strategy guidelines established by the Events and Corporate Partnerships Manager
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Design, help create the Federation’s Annual Impact Report. Solicit and compile content from all staff and community members. Write headlines and other content as necessary. Circulate proofs and obtain final approval before publication.
- Serve on Federation Marketing Committee and assist preparing and editing organizational publications, press releases and other media communications to support the strategic marketing plan or promote programs of the Federation
- Lead proofreader in evaluating written text in print, email and social media marketing for grammatical and typographical errors
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field, or at least four years of experience in a writing, editing or communications field
- Ability to proofread and edit content thoroughly, with care and attention to detail, correcting for punctuation, grammar, spelling, and proper use of the AP Style of writing
- Well-versed in the use of social media as a marketing tool, comfortable working with photography, have some basic graphic design knowledge
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, manage multiple projects, and meet various deadlines simultaneously
- Personable, enthusiastic, self-motivated; comfortable in a fast-paced working environment, including occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to work closely with others in a team environment, and effectively interact with all levels of management, community leaders, donors, and volunteers
- Highly motivated, creative and passionate about serving the needs of and continuous learning about trends in the Jewish community
- Knowledge and understanding of Jewish practices, customs, history, and community infrastructure a plus
- Familiarity with the programs and services of the Greensboro Jewish Federation and its constituent agencies a plus
- Knowledge of the greater Greensboro community